After a whirlwind Peace Corps orientation and traveling through two hotels, a ger camp, a high school dormitory and a wooden house, I have now began to settle in my new home for the next 11 weeks. I am surrounded with endless blue skies, lush green pastures, towering mountains, and herds of cows, horses, camels, and wild dogs.Though being constantly tested in the mongolian language (ish, eesh, and schsh's aren't quite my forte yet), I have found peace (enkh taivan) in my new home. PC orientation prepared me well though discussions, q&a's and hilariously awkward skits.
My host family is wonderful! I have a bother, Biggie, 19, who speaks fluent English, my sister Nomin is 16, my father Huyagaa is a Mongolian/Russian border inspector, and my mother Munhuu is an accountant. We have an extended family who are always visiting. Several sisters have babies and come to gossip and breastfeed at our home. It is always busy and I feel a great sense of support from all.
The city, Sukbaatar, is in the Selenge province and is home to about 21,000 people. It surrounds a flour factory and most live in wooden homes. I am lucky enough to have running water and a bathroom, thus being one of the few spoiled volunteers. I feel somewhat like i've been placed in a rural american town with a differen't language. They strive to move away from traditional ways of life and are embracing modern conveinences. We even have internet in our town, and I believe my family is working to get a connectiont at our house.
Training for the next 11 weeks will consist of mongolian language training 5hrs/day, 3hrs/day of reviewing the PC's community based health program; goals for us, and the resources available for projects we seek out, and after week 5 I will begin a Practicum at either a hospital or health clinic. There I will obsersve and get hands on experience working with the community.
That's about it for now, I'm in back in Darhan now for my second round of Rabies shots...the wild dogs are quite viscious and it is basically expected that we will get bit at some point... haha
Miss you all and hope all is well in the states!
xoxo
Gracie
What a wonderful way to keep up w/ you. I've never "blogged" before. of course, the best pic of you is on a horse..Thanx for inviting me to your blog.
ReplyDeleteI will try to pass info along to the Burger's clan.
All is well here.
My filly is off right now, had her legs injected and she had a lot of fluid to release from one that has a chip. we are waiting for a couple weeks and plan to race again..
glad you are having such a sucessful trip. Keep me posted.
love ya
barb
Hey Sweetie! Mom had Bunco tonight so Bob an I went to see "Cave of Forgotten Dreams". Enjoyed it, a new cave system found in 1994 in France w/ picturegraphs fr 30,000 yrs ago! Very cool cave. Tornado warnings w/ a few sighted and touching down in Jeff Co. will know more tomorrow am. I love you and miss you. Dad
ReplyDelete