Thursday, January 10, 2013

Shine onii mend! (Shine jiliin barieen mend hurgay) Saikhan baerisn uu? Happy new years, how was your holiday?




As per usual I’ve slacked on my blogging duties and I’m much overdue for an update about Mongolia, Moogi and me. My apologies, I hope this post fulfills all your wildest dreams about what life is like here in the tundra ;).

Lucky me celebrated new years stateside in the warmth of family and the Florida sun, but back here in Erdenet there were ice sculptures and ice slides to warm your soul. It must be the year of the Elephant because here’s Dumbo welcoming 2013 a couple tusks shy, but still standing strong.  (I do know there’s no year of the elephant, and that looks nothing like Dumbo, but I have yet to understand why I’ve found so many Elephant statues here in Erdenet and felt I needed to make note of it. I have full respect and admiration for elephants, so nothing against them, but why they’re sculpted here befuddles me). It’s the year of the Dragon, btw.


I would have loved to see this ice art before kids added their own crafty touch, but what I did see was preetty neat and here are some of the photos I snapped before my fingers froze.








I loved the way the light reflected through the ice and I was trying to capture the sunset through it before I got dragged into taking pictures of kiddos going down the slides… which was much more entertaining anyway.

For a cultural note, the whole time I conversed, took pictures, helped a girl put on her backpack and fix her gloves, not once did a parent come to intervene or really make any note of me, quite frankly, I didn’t see any parents except for those of children under 5.

Most children here are allowed to walk home after school and are pretty darn independent (A lot of kids get cell phones by the age of 7 or earlier – that's probably happening in the states now too) And as all children do, they loved looking at the photos I took and would make me wait for them to slide and then run over to see what they looked like. It’s fun what a camera can bring to any situation.

Had I been in America, I probably would have been suspiciously perceived and most definitely not surrounded by children wanting me to take their photo, or offer me candy. These children don’t fear strangers, and certainly not blonde ones who stick out in a crowd – even being covered head to toe in winter gear. I love that about Mongolia; everyone looks out for one another, especially children, and there isn’t that aspect of fear that we find so much in the states. That isn’t to say that everyone here is a godsend and will care for your child as their own sweet angel, but the sense of community is still strong and I think that’s great.

Moogi had a wonderful holiday and became reunited with her inner hudoo (countryside) dog. She stayed with a American/French family just outside Erdenet with her buddy Baavka (Bear) in a huge hashaa (fenced in yard), but she thought that wasn’t big enough and escaped to explore more of the hudoo – I want to think she was trying to find her way home but she was most likely just embracing her curiosity to explore, and wanting to eat all of the most disgusting scraps a pup can find. Now, squeaky clean, she’s home and rolling on her back for tummy rubs. What a lucky life that dog has.

Back in America, I probably had the most adverse reverse cultural shock ever. I think I just was overwhelmed and I felt like I was trying to hide under a turtle shell. I’ve lost my ability to converse coherently for long periods of time, mainly due to the fact that English was all around and my ears tuned into everything just because I could understand what people were saying. It made it quite difficult for me to focus. Sorry if I seemed distant or aloof, but my mind was overwhelmed!


Family photo in Florida, you can only imagine what Ian 
did to elicit such a response in the rest of us ;).


I’m happy to back in Erdenet and my old routine, yoga picked right back up, and we’re showing Star Wars in our English movie club.

Another culture note;

Sometimes for yes and no Mongolians just use sounds; tsuuuuu - yes ksuuuu – no, very similar to the breathing noises Mr. Darth Vader in Star Wars makes, therefore it is said that many Mongolians just think Darth Vader is saying yes and no throughout the movie.

And I also just found out a factoid – Vader is actually “father” in Dutch – who knew?!?


Best to all of you and hope you had a wonderful new years!

If you haven't already, check out my photo's on Flickr, click below: 

















No comments:

Post a Comment