Monday, August 29, 2011

Home sweet Erdenet



As most of you have heard through the grapevine or through facebook, I have officially sworn in as a volunteer and have been placed in the bustling mining city Erdenet, which is surprisingly very organized. There are tree lined sidewalks (many that need repair), two parks, one with two water fountains, and a children’s park which has several circular fair-like rides and a mini Ferris wheel. We have the biggest Buddhist statue in Mongolia and a white stone friendship statue, where two hands are holding up a ring of the emblems of sister cities. 



Across the street from my apartment there is a small ski resort, just bunny hills though. And I think they will be perfect for sledding down in my bath tunpen, which I don’t have to use anymore because I have hot water and shower! My apartment is on the second floor in the corner of this complex.


There is a sports center, which has a small swimming pool, workout equipment, table tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, and a sauna. We have a cultural center that has a small art gallery, many restaurants, bars, discos, and several shopping centers. (Though they really only have fake goods imported from China). I can get pizza delivered to my door, drink good wine and have the Internet at my fingertips. 

I work at the Regional Diagnostic and Treatment Center of Orkhon Aimag and will be promoting public health, teaching English, grant writing, capacity building, and whatever else I can get myself involved in. I have been doing a lot of planning these first two weeks and hope that I will be able to start implementing things next month. I do plan to start teaching English for the doctors, nurses and other staff at my hospital next week. 

Below is on the first saturday I arrived and my hospital was doing free diabetes screening. (on the left) This is just outside the local sports complex.


My apartment needed a little help when I first moved here, and I stayed with another PCV for a week, but after several plumbers, painters, electricians and some nice furniture additions it has become very cozy. It’s a one bedroom with a kitchen, bath and balcony. I think after a little more decorating it will feel like home.

I definitely didn’t picture my Peace Corps placement to be in such a progressive little city and am surprised at the resources my hospital has, although there is still much I can do. I am am thrilled get to work with many international organizations, and already have a meeting with WHO (World Health Organization) with my supervisor to help bring more trainings, particularly on midwifery, to our hospital.

Hope all is well back in the States, and those on the the east coast didn't get hit to hard by earthquakes and hurricanes.


1 comment: